Tuesday, 21 June 2011

Where this blog turns into some kind of emo diary..

I've decided it's safer just to stay indoors and watch DVDs. I tried drawing something awesome today but I just can't get it right and I ended up getting really frustrated and threw my sketchbook aside with a wail. Man I do not know how people can draw whole strips daily, it blows my mind. I can barely get out a doodle each day. I promise I'll have something to show tomorrow. Also, I don't know if it's good or bad to look at other artists' work. I mean, on one hand I guess I can learn a lot and I enjoy it, but on the other hand it makes me realise that I will never catch up to them and I am just not as good. I have no idea how to do facial expressions or hands or feet or practically anything! I need some kind of drawing-sensei.

After some pretty terrifying news at work today I have realised I have little-to-no skills for use in the real world, apart from being able to design Medical Supplies catalogues and touch up photos and design banners in Photoshop. I am bracing my head to meet the chopping block.

I had something else written here but I deleted it because it was petty and obvious. Come on, I can do better than that. Don't let it get to you, self.

3 comments:

  1. You just have to put the hours in with pencil and paper, Becki. I didn't improve much as an artist until I started filling sketchbook after sketchbook. I try to always draw for fun in there. If you're frustrated with your work, forget about producing anything "finished" for a while and just build up your drawing muscles. Your style might change a dozen times.

    Looking at other artists' work is critical to improving. As time goes on you can pick apart what they do more easily and there are so many lessons to be learned. But for now, just steal the bits you like from them. That's what they did to artists before them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, John. I shall knuckle down and drawn anything and everything, I properly want to do this. I really, really appreciate the advice - I just made some chocolate cornflake cakes, you can have one.

    ReplyDelete